Monday, February 18, 2008

It's a small world afterall...

I was so excited when I read these posts by Mary and Ginger this week because I had a PERFECT God experience to illustrate that GOD (not luck) is involved in the small details of life.

The lady standing in this picture with our family is Mary Jane....

Mary Jane came into Sunday School this week and sat to my left.  The SS teacher started with an icebreaker to encourage us to meet new ladies in the group.  We were supposed to ask someone we didn't know where they were born, their favorite color, and another question that I don't remember because we didn't make it past #1.  Mary Jane and I never met before.  We introduced ourselves, and the conversation went something like this...

MJ: "I am from Pennsylvania." 
me:  "Really!  I am from PA too.  I am from sjdkfsldjf county."
MJ:  "You have got to be kidding me!  I am from sjdkfsldjf county too!!!"
(can you see where this is going?...)
me:  "Wow!  I am from ________(small town)"
MJ:  (with a stunned look on her face)  "I was born and raised in that town!  What is your maiden name?  What family are you from?"
me:  I told her my parents and grandparents' names.
MJ:  Her eyes lit up and she said, "Fay (my aunt) is my best friend!  Didn't she throw a going away party for you and your husband before you left for Korea?"
me: "Yes"
MJ:  "I was THERE just before you arrived that day!  I live in Indiana now, but I was in town for a visit, and I went to see Fay, and she told me all about you."

Last summer, when my aunt threw that party for us, Mary Jane had no idea that she would be coming to Korea.  So, she didn't really pay attention to the country where we were going.  She is here for two months, teaching with Word of Life Ministries.  We went on to discover that she went to church in PA with another aunt/uncle of mine, Wilbur and Rachel.  She was supposed to be traveling and almost didn't come to our church this week, but her plans fell through and she felt like God had a special blessing for her there.  It is AMAZING to me that God put all those little details in place for us to meet on this side of the globe.  Even the fact that the leader chose that question for us for this particular week (last week was name your favorite dessert).

It really is a small world, and we really do serve a big God.

10 comments:

Jean said...

That is so cool! So now I, who am also from the same small town in sjdkfsldjf county, PA, and who knows who your Aunt Fay was and who your uncle Wilbur and Aunt Rachel are, am sitting here trying to think if I know this Mary Jane person, ha, ha!! You know what kind of game we call that, right?

Janelle said...

That is just the coolest God moment ever. Praise Him for bringing Mary Jane to you yesterday. I bet the touch from home did your heart a world of good. I can't imagine living so far away from loved ones.

That was an awesome story!

Momma Roar said...

This gave me goosebumps - and I'm playing along with Jean's game! Only in sjdkfsldjf county - HAHA!!

I think it is amazing that I reconnected with you through Sarah and Mary, who I met through blogging. And what an amazing blessing this was for both of you!

Too cool!! :-)

PS - I didn't know you were related to Wilbur and Rachel - we used to live in the development across the street from them - plus my inlaws know them well.

Kristen said...

How fun!! I love those moments, God definitely has his hand on the little things.

Mari said...

That is so cool - it is a small world, with a big, big God!

Jenni S. said...

What a wonderful story! It just put a smile on my face to think about how God works in our lives. I especially needed that today for a little change of heart attitude. Thanks!

Short Stop said...

That's awesome, Lynn. What a great story. We're always so amazed when God works like this...but isn't it just so like Him?

Alana said...

That is a wonderful story! I'm so glad God sent her your way yesterday!!

Ruthie said...

I was amazed to meet two people when we were there in Korea who were from my teeny tiny podunky town in Indiana. That is very cool indeed.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what am awesome God we serve.

Is this amazing or what?

I L*O*V*E IT!