Thursday, October 21, 2010

What I've been reading

One of my favorite books is by Havel Kimmel, so when I came across The Solace of Leaving Early at the library, I decided to pick it up.  This was an okay read, but not nearly as enjoyable as Zippy.  Some of the conversations were witty, but I was not drawn in by the characters or their story.  The ending ties everything up in a neat little package, but it is a bit too convenient.  Read Zippy...skip this one.   




I heard good things about The Help at our book club selection meeting.  When it was on the shelf at the beach house during our family vacation, I decided to read it.  I was quickly absorbed into the characters and their story.  Stockett's novel takes place in the South during the 1950's.  "The Help" are not slaves, but they are black women, who are still victims of prejudice and sometimes persecution, working in the homes of white women.  The story volleys from the perspectives of three women, two black and one white.  It is funny, sad, disturbing, and thought provoking.  I highly recommend you add this to your reading list.








Snow Flower and the Secret Fan kicked off our book club in September after not meeting through the summer.  I liked (but didn't love) this book.  If you like Asian culture, you will be fascinated by the ancient "art" of foot binding.  Lisa See certainly has a gift for character development, but there was little hope or joy in the lives of the Chinese people depicted in her novel.



















I finally read it!!!.....after Patrick's review, I decided it was time to add Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged to my list.   The time was right since I had a three hour drive (each way) by myself for a beach trip with my girlfriends.  I got through about 600 pages via audiobook.  It took me a few hundred pages, but then I really got into it.  If you enjoy politics, you should read it.  It is criticized by both liberals and conservatives....which is one reason it is so fun to discuss.  I found myself agreeing with some of her political leanings, but thought little of her view of morality.  Challenge yourself and read this one.

I was told that a good comedy read was anything "Jeeves."  I made it through most of Carry On, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse.  It was enjoyable but redundant.  Each chapter was an individual conundrum or social faux pas that needed to be solved.  It was creative and witty at times, but I don't think I'll pick up any more of these... 

1 comment:

Mari said...

I read The Help a few months ago and I think it's one of the best books I've ever read. I've passed it on to several people and they have all loved it!