Saturday, October 3, 2009

What I've Been Reading...

It is time for another "What I've been reading" post. Several people have asked me recently what I am reading now. I have decided to add a list to my sidebar of what is currently gracing my bed stand. Most of the books I am reading now are for studies at my church (and one I am doing with a friend). This is a season of learning for me....

We did The Blessing of Boundaries as a women's study with our church. This is not one I would recommend. Lauren Bell tends to be a bit too absolute in her statements. We all felt one of the benefits we got from the book was having our "heresy meters" tested.



84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff
is a delightful collection of letters between the author and a British book shop. It is a quick read (like a few hours). Over 20 years, the letters change from "strictly business" to those of a more personal nature. It was my book club's selection for October.






Pride and Prejudice was my book club's summer read, which we discussed in September. I loved the movie, and I loved the book. A classic for all the right reasons. You gotta love a great (non-trashy) romance.


















Well folks, I finished the Harry Potter series. You can go here to read why I started reading them. They are brilliant. Really. Amazing writing. The last book was....well, there really aren't words to describe how well Rowling brings it all together. Read them.

6 comments:

Mari said...

Pride and Prejudice and Harry Potter! All good!

Krazy Fam said...

That is so funny! I am on book 5 of Harry Potter. I just never really read them, and then my 8 year old became and huge HP fan and I decided to try them out. I love them too!!!

jj said...

Esther's asking to read Harry Potter. I read the first one years ago when it was banned at the school where I taught. I think it's time for me to read the whole series. Thanks for the book reviews. As always, I love your blog.

Jenni S. said...

Oh I love P&P. There's actually a whole series done by another author carrying on the Pemberley story after Elizabeth and Darcey get married. I did a post on it a while back. If you like P&P I think you might like this series too. OR I also read The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen. That one was incredible -- totally loved it. Sorry, I get a little excited about Austen. :-)

Kristen said...

I love seeing what you are reading... I always need new reading material.

I haven't read the Harry Potter series. I have been thinking about reading it in case Morgan wants to read it at some point.

krista said...

I was trying to remember the title of the book you were telling me about. Is it just entitled BIRTH? Do you recall the author?

Thanks! Thought I may try that one soon.