Monday, October 15, 2007

12 Things I've Done in Korea

I thought I would make today's post more informative.  Here are twelve activities I have done since arriving in Korea....

1.  Had authentic Korean food.  Yes, we decided it was time to dive in since people kept asking us if we tried the food yet.  We are both not very picky eaters, but it was not our favorite cuisine.  The rumors are true that if you eat kimchi, you will smell like it for a day.  Patrick had it coming out his pores.  We really enjoyed the experience though and would be happy to go again if any of you come to visit.

2.  Ate dinner at Chili's restaurant, Outback Steakhouse, and Pizza Hut.  We also had Thai food at least twice and Indian food.  See, the world is not such a big place after all.

3.  Went purse shopping with my new friend, Alexia.  Korea is known for making excellent quality knock-off purses.  It is really hard to tell they are not real.  So, when I come home with a Coach diaper bag, know that I paid $55 for it, not $450.  If anyone is interested in designer bags...Coach, Prada, Louie Vuitton (yes, I had to look it up to see how to spell that), Dooney and Burke, Gucci, Chanel, and many more, just tell me what you are looking for and I would be happy to shop.

4. Got my hair cut.  Last week I finally decided it was time to be brave and go to the salon.  I am happy to report that they did a good job.

5.  After going for above hair cut, noticed that they do pedicures for $17!  Went back the next day and relaxed for 50 minutes with my book while my feet were pampered.

6.  Took the subway to the town of Suwon, where we did some shopping and had dinner.  I bought a pair of pants and some sneakers.  For once, it is a real advantage to be small.  Koreans are small (short and thin), so tall/big people have a hard time buying clothes here.  I wear a 7 1/2 shoe, and I think the largest they carry is an 8 1/2.

7.  Did (and continue to do) laundry in a machine that is both a washer and drier.  Sounds great until you find out it is completely in Korean and takes about 8 hours to do a load.  And the oven is in Celsius.

8.  Joined a MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) group at our church.  They meet once a month.  There is a speaker, food, games, and childcare.  It meets on a Wednesday morning for about 3 hours, and I really enjoyed it.  I have found that it is easy to find community here.  Most people are in the same boat we are.  They came here without friends and extended family and are here for a short time.  So, there are lots of groups you can join, and you don't feel the awkwardness of joining a group that has known each other for years.

9.  Started Adeline's baby album.

10.  Joined a book club.  We are meeting next week, and I am almost done with the first book.

11.  Joined the Osan Officer's Spouse's Club.  I know it sounds like I am joining a lot of clubs, but most of them, including this one, only meet once a month.  Their October activity, on Thursday, is a mad hatters tea party.  I was sold.

12.  Bought Adeline's halloween costume at the thrift store on base.  I am quite excited about it.  You will just have to check back to see it...

We also have many more activities planned for the upcoming weeks/months.  We are leaving in the morning for Mount Sorak.  It is a 4 1/2 hour drive but is supposed to be worth the trip.  We are staying for two nights, so this may be my last post for a few days.  Hopefully I will have some beautiful fall pictures when I return.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Great job setting up the blog, Lynn (& Patrick, too)! I look forward to checking it regularly to keep updated on what's going on in your life in Korea. Of course, this doesn't replace seeing you and talking to you on Skype!

Have fun on your little 2 day getaway!

Love, Jen

Short Stop said...

Ohhhh, I can't wait to see Adeline's Halloween Costume! I love dressing the kids up each year...it's SO fun!

It's awesome that you're getting involved in different groups. I can't say I'm surprised! ;) I am finally feeling settled here (after 2 years) because I've gotten involved in MOPS and my Bible Study.

I hope you have a great time away! Enjoy!

Mary@notbefore7 said...

So glad you found a MOPS! I didn't join this year, but they were my HUGE support system for 4 years!!!!