Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Chocolate Mint Cookies

Today is the cookie exchange at Short Stop!  Here is my favorite Christmas cookie recipe.  I love the combination of mint and chocolate.  These cookies are moist and just delicious.  I hate making icing, so the Andes mint melted on top is the perfect compromise for me.  First you need a helper.  Adeline took the papers off of ALL of these candies for me, and she only ate the one I told her she could have (at least I didn't catch her sneaking any others).



We waited for daddy to come home to make the cookies.


We use a baller to make the dough balls.  You don't need to smash them at all.  These cookies spread out nicely.



Patrick had the dough balls on the tray, and when he left for a minute, Adeline decided they looked better this way.


After you bake them, press down the Andes mints ever so slightly.  Adeline actually put the mint on top of the hot cookies.  For those of you that are freaking out about the two year old so close to a hot pan....she gets it.  She really does.  When I explain that something is "ouchy hot" she is probably more careful than I would be, and she is so proud when she can help mommy.



Then, you use a toothpick (or chopstick in our case) to smear the melted candy on top of the cookie.


Delicious!  ...and the cookie is quite good too.  ;o)


Chocolate Mint Cookies

Combine 3/4 cup butter, 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, and 2 TBSP water in a glass bowl.
Microwave for 2-3 min.
Add 2 cups chocolate chips to the above mixture and stir until melted.
Let it sit about 10 minutes to cool.

In the meantime, mix
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Add chocolate mixture to the other ingredients and mix on low speed until combined.
Chill dough at least 1 hour
Use small scoop to form cookies and DO NOT press them down.
Bake at 350 for 9 min.
Remove from oven and immediately place one Andes mint on top of each cookie.
After the mint is melted, smear it on top of the cookie like icing.

THEN remove to a cooling rack.
These cookies are so soft that if you try to take them off the baking sheet too soon, they will fall apart.



Head over to Short Stop for more cookie ideas!

19 comments:

Mari said...

Yum! I love chocolate and mint, so I have to try these!

Nancy said...

Looks so yummy. Are we having these tomorrow, by chance?

Christie said...

I am going to have to make these when I get home. I'm really impressed by how good of a helper Adeline is!

jj said...

Adeline could not be cuter. Esther needs to make cookies and take the recipe along to Brownies next week. We may try these!

Krazy Fam said...

Souunds and looks delicious

Jenni S. said...

Those look *so* good, Lynn. One of Dave's favorite flavors is mint chocolate and he's totally passed that on to the girls (which is why we also have a mint chocolate cookie recipe - LOL). Love Adeline's arrangement of the cookies. Too cute!

Christine Satterfield said...

Yum! I love Andes mints so I'll definitely have to try these!

LifeAtTheCircus.com said...

We too are big mint fans here, so I think we'll have to add this to our list of cookies to bake!! Thanks for sharing!

And Adaline is such a sweet little helper in the kitchen!

SnoWhite said...

My mom used to make these... she called them mistletoe mint! yum.

Unknown said...

MMMMM I love mint chocolate!

ChrisandMissy said...

Those look really really good, Lynn! The peppermint scones from this morning were excellent- could we have that recipe too?? Thanks again and hope the girls took good naps this afternoon.

Greg and Shara said...

Oh Lynn, these sound and look so good and easy! I think I'm gonna make them...really soon! Thanks for sharing! BTW, chocolate and mint...unbeatable! Andes also has out a cherry mint, they are delicious; I think I might put them in this recipe. Steak and Shake has a Chocolate Peppermint milkshake that is yummo; plus they have happy hour everyday where the shakes and drinks are 1/2 off...you should try it!

Kristen said...

morgan would LOVE these... mint chocolate chip ice cream is here favorite.

Andrea @ The Train To Crazy said...

These look so good!

jj said...

yumyumyumyumyumyum We are making these as I type!! Esther mixed up everything herself, because it's really an easy recipe. Emma unwrapped the mints and Alex smooshed the mints onto the cookies. They are so DELISH!! Thanks for the idea. We used Hershey's Bliss mint chocolates because Kmart didn't have Ande's. We cut the mints in half (Alex's job) and they were the perfect size.

Kara said...

Yum! I've never seen these, but I might need to try them. I love mint and chocolate!

Muthering Heights said...

My goodness - those sound delicious! Thank you for sharing your recipe! :)

Angela said...

I still have the recipe from the cookie exchange in Korea -- yum yum!

Simply Sara said...

totally adding these to our cookie countdown.

mint + chocolate = heaven

mmmmmmmmmmm....